3D Renderings Gallery
The original Borden House was described in the memoirs of Caledonia Ann Borden as “a beautiful two-story house that was pained light yellow with green trim.” The original structure was burnt by the Union troops on the day after the battle. The house was later rebuilt in 1868 and was reported to closely resemble the original structure. The Borden House is one of the few original structures at Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park today.
The Morton House was central to the afternoon portion of the battle between General Blunt and General Frost's brigade. It was one of the few houses to survive the battle and the Union occupation of the area afterwards. There are several post-war images of the house and outbuildings that were used as a basis for the 3D recreations. These images in comparison with the 3D renderings can be viewed in the Then-Now image gallery (link).
Hugh Rogers House
Hugh Rogers' house was located just west of Fayetteville Road on a natural bench near the foot of the ridge. The house was described as “a single story L-shaped house that was painted white.” The house was one of the few to survive because it was used as Union headquarters occupied by Herron and his men in the weeks that followed the battle.
Hugh Rogers - Union Headquarters
These images depict a union field camp around the Roger's house. Hugh Rogers house was occupied as the Union headquarters for weeks by General Herron and his men.
William Rogers House
The William Rogers' home was located on the bench beneath the ridge between Hugh Rogers' house and the Morton house. The house was described as “a white 2 story building” and had an accompanying orchard. This house along with four others was burned to the ground on the day after the battle.
The Thompson home was located by the Illinois River where Herron's men initially tried to cross but was driven back by Confederate artillery. Herron would finally send Orme's brigade across the river ford later that day once his men had established an artillery line on Crawfords hill. Though there were no written descriptions describing the Thompson house, the house was constructed in a typical mid-1800's style using hewn logs and native rock.
The West House and orchard was located at the Northwest corner of the battlefield and was removed from the majority of the fighting. The house survived the battle and would later be used as a field hospital for Union troops. Julia West who was in her teen years when she witnessed the battle reported that her family lived with the wounded for six weeks in their home. The house was described as “a 2-story log structure.”
West house - Union Hospital
The West house was used as a temporary hospital for Union troops in the week following the battle. These images depict what a typical Civil War field hospital would have looked like.